I'll take a look at it when I have 5 Darren - thanks.

On 2013-06-26, at 10:05 AM, darren@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Jon, we have this in our database. It sounds similar to your issue.
Perhaps it will help:

IBM Connecting to a remote host with Remote Systems Explorer (RSE) hangs or
times out - United States

Add the parameter: “-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true” to the eclipse.ini
file.

Example location: file:\\C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP\eclipse.ini

Details

---------------------------------

Connecting to a remote host with Remote Systems Explorer (RSE) hangs or
times out

Technote (troubleshooting)

Problem(Abstract)

When using IBM Rational Developer for Power Systems Software (RDP) 8.5 or
Rational Developer for System z (RDz) version 8.5 and trying to connect to
a remote host, it might take a very long time or fail with a time-out or
TCP/IP configuration error message. A message indicating that the host
could not be found might also be indicative of this problem.

Cause

When trying to connect from a workstation that is set to have an IPv6
preference through an IPv4 network (such as VPN), it may cause the
connection to take a very long time to establish or it may fail and give an
error message. This is due to name resolution failing when there is no IPv6
DNS server.

Environment

This is most commonly observed on Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit

Diagnosing the problem

If the problem is seen when connecting to an IBM i or IBM z operating
system, then first ensure that the IP name or address for the host is
correct. Then confirm that the host can be reached (ping) and that the
appropriate firewall ports are open to enable the RSE connection. Once you
confirm this, then the problem will be at the client side if it is due to
IPv6.

When connecting to an AIX operating system it could be either client (PC)
or host (AIX). To determine if the problem is at the host side start a
simple SSH or Telnet console session with the host. Then change the current
directory to the RDP install directory on AIX (such as,
"cd /opt/IBM/RDPower/8.5/rse/"). Now run the server script ("./server.sh").
If this takes a long time to respond, about two minutes, then the problem
exists at the host side.

Resolving the problem

Client side

To resolve the problem on the client side and cause the RDP or RDz client
to use IPv4, add the parameter "-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true" on a new
line at the bottom of the eclipse.ini file in the product install
directory. This will set the set the network preference to be IPv4 for the
product only.

If changing the preference for Windows 7 to be IPv4 is desired then this
discussion provides some additional guidance:

Win7 seems to prefer IPv4 native to IPv6/6to4 - which is not what the
policy table says - which is right?

AIX host side

To resolve the problem on the AIX host side add the parameter "
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true" to the $javaExe invocations in the
runserver.sh script in the RDP install directory on the AIX host.

Responding to:
Has anyone else found that the new version is even worse than the previous
one in situations where you did not disconnect before closing RDi and
subsequently can't reach the server in question?

I was working on a client site last week and can no longer reach that IP.
Doesn't matter what I do it just goes off into the ether for 2 minutes or
so and then comes back with "Unable to reach" after which it redisplays the
sign-on dialog and I cancel that and then wait 2 minutes before I see
"Unable ..." again. During this period I cannot click on the RSE
connections to do anything about it as I am locked out of everything.

Finally gave up - killed the workbench and started the product again with a
new workbench. I really hoped this would be fixed in this release but it
seems worse. Data Studion doesn't experience this and neither does the
basic Eclipse IDE I have as a playground.

Any suggestions? This is going to drive me crazy.

Jon Paris