On 5/16/2013 11:32 AM, dale janus wrote:

I have to use either ops nav or green screen tools to find the field
names. Obviously I am missing something. Is there another way to view
field names?

I've been using the GUI development tools since they were running on
OS/2. I really, really like RDi vs PDM/SEU. Having said that, I don't
feel the slightest bit of shame to do a DSPFFD in a 5250 session if I
want a quick peek at field names in a file. I use Lpex (the editor) and
RSE (the navigator) for a lot of things. But as a green screen
programmer, I need to have a 5250 session up in order to test my code
anyway, so I don't try to do everything in the world within RDi.

IF I were a beginner again and didn't know about right clicking on the
F-Spec, I would simply open up the DDS and the DDL source in Lpex and
view them from there.

I am also having trouble seeing what file definition is pulled into the
program. It took me a while to get my library list correct for this new
project . I got errors using files with the same name in the wrong
library.

I know you feel overwhelmed right now. I have a suggestion, but it will
require learning one more thing. Connections. I make one connection
for each project I work on. I can set the library list and even call a
custom command (say to set a Java CLASSPATH). Within each connection I
can easily set up filters so I only see the source members I'm
interested in. This has helped me so much. I consider a connection
almost disposable, I make and delete them often. I currently have 25
connections - and I only have one IBM i machine!

How can I determine within RDI where the file definition is coming
from? Currently, I still print the compiles so I view the spool file to
see what library the file definitions are coming from. There has to be a
way to do this in rdi.

Right click the F-Spec will show you the library but honestly, I look at
the compiler listing over on a green screen session. The Outline view
is good, but it doesn't give me the same comfort level I get with the
cross reference at the bottom of the compiler listing.

I have RDi running on my right monitor and a 5250 session on the left
and I'm very happy with that arrangement. Don't feel guilty about using
the green screen for things that are easily done over there. But by all
means keep asking questions on the list - several people have learnt
something new today because of you. And that's a Very Good Thing. :-)
--buck