work an hour and a half now and had to do it 28 times already. Boy, is
that wasting most of my day opening and closing members...

Stu

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM, Dean, Robert <rdean@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree. I don't need to see monthly fixpacks, but I'd like to see either
more frequent updates, or APAR fixes made accessible without having to open
a PMR.

It seems ironic that as IBM beats the continuous delivery drum, their own
deliveries have gotten less continuous for just about every product except
for Rational's Jazz-based offerings.

From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] on
behalf of Thierry Bernard [thierry.mr@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:10 PM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for
System i & iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] When is the next FixPack?

Here are some stats on releases since 8.0 with when the next release
would be based on the corresponding release interval.

Date Elapsed Would be
Version Available Days Months next release
8.0.0 2010-10-26
8.0.0.1 2010-12-07 42 1.4 2013-01-07
8.0.0.2 2011-04-18 132 4.4 2013-04-07
8.0.0.3 2011-06-30 73 2.4 2013-02-07
8.0.3 2011-10-14 106 3.5 2013-03-12
8.0.3.1 2012-01-16 94 3.1 2013-02-28
8.5.0 2012-06-15 151 5.0 2013-04-26
8.5.1 2012-11-26 164 5.5 2013-05-09

Average 109 3.6 2013-03-15
Trend 170 5.7 2013-05-15

We initially deployed 8.0.0.1. We have not deployed every release, we
have installed 8.0.0.3, 8.0.3.1 but did not install 8.0.0.2, 8.0.3 or
8.5.0 because I felt that they had too many problems.
Deployment of 8.5.1 is on my to do. While it has some issues, I think
the new functions and fixes in 8.5 and 8.5.1 tip the balance to the
positive side. (Now, my current project is taking a bit longer than
expected so given the dates I calculated above, I may wait for the next
release and do a quick assessment before deciding.)

I do think the interval between releases is becoming WAY TOO LONG,
especially for fixes (even worse when we skip every other release
because of problems).

I'd like to see more frequent updates and on a more predictable
schedule. Something like a release every quarter, every other release
being mostly fixes and small enhancements.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Thierry.