On 05 Mar 2013 13:51, CRPence wrote:
<<SNIP>> When STRDBG is issued successfully in a job, then
implicitly the job is self-servicing, and debug is active in that
job; the job is both the servicing-job and the serviced-job. A CHGDBG
issued in that self-serviced job functions without error, acting
against the debug environment started previously in the same job.
However when <*ed:*> CHGDBG is issued within a job that is serviced
from another job, the CHGDBG fails because debug has not been started
in the self-serviced job; i.e. an externally serviced job is not
allowed to perform any debug activity on itself. This means that
STRDBG also fails, but instead of due to mode-checking by the command
analyzer, due to the debugger detecting that the job is being
serviced by another job.

The prior reply I had typed CHGJOB vs the intended CL command CHGDBG. The correction is inline in the quoted text above, after the <*ed:*>