It's probably column sensitive editing turned on. It has bitten me occasionally.

I do like Alt-S to split the line, but I think it could be smarter in where it start the split bit on the next line.

And on Alt-J, to join lines, it would be nice if it was a bit smarter too. Maybe it should truncate leading blanks.

Sam