I guess I should've said "only needed for installation *and* updates".

Microsoft has been hit hard by security vulnerabilities over the years (viruses, worms, trojans, spyware, and other similar malware). They are trying to implement the sort of security that exists on other systems. This is one of the reasons that these rogue programs are less of a problem on Unix, IBM i, and other platforms: The user running the day-to-day programs doesn't typically have authority to replace/update/modify programs. (Whereas on Windows, traditionally, they did!) I have been chiding Microsoft for this for years.

Now they've finally implemented it. They require you to be an administrator to modify program objects. And, they also make an effort to block remote users (VNC, remote desktop, Goto Meeting, etc) from being able to run programs with administrator authority.

Imagine the average user being able to install a new release of IBM i, or even run PTFs. It's almost unthinkable, right? You need *ALLOBJ to do that sort of thing... well, why are we getting upset when Windows requires the same thing?