In trying out the "keep the outline updated" setting, my outline view acts
like this:

1. Start with no members open, but outline view visible,
and "Update outline as source changes" enabled.
2. Open member for which I have seen an outline before.
3. Outline view is empty, refresh button is disabled,
menu option Source | Refresh Outline View is enabled (but does not work).
4. What the heck, close the outline view and open it again from the Show
View menu.
5. Note the outline is still empty, but the refresh button is now available.
6. Push refresh, status line says "Refresh outline" with the progress bar
cycling.
7. Wait till that finishes -- still no outline.

I discovered that during this time of no outline, my QZRCSRVS job on the i
peaks out
at 90% cpu usage with this in the joblog:

Client request - run program QSYS/QWCRTVCA.
Client request - run program QSYS/QVDEOBJL.
Client request - run program QSYS/QWCRTVCA.
Client request - run program QSYS/QVDEOBJL.
Client request - run program QSYS/QWCRTVCA.
Client request - run program QSYS/QVDEOBJL.
Client request - run program QSYS/QWCRTVCA.
Client request - run program QSYS/QVDEOBJL.
Client request - run program QSYS/QWCRTVCA.
Client request - run program QSYS/QVDEOBJL.
Client request - run program QSYS/QWCRTVCA.
Client request - run program QSYS/QVDEOBJL.
Client request - run program QSYS/QWCRTVCA.
Client request - run program QSYS/QVDEOBJL.

they are all from an IBM program talking to itself.
From program . . . . . . . . . : QZRCSRVS
From library . . . . . . . . : QSYS
From module . . . . . . . . : QZRCRPC
From procedure . . . . . . . : LogRpcMessage
From statement . . . . . . . : 13

To program . . . . . . . . . . : QZRCSRVS
To library . . . . . . . . . : QSYS
To module . . . . . . . . . : QZRCRPC
To procedure . . . . . . . . : LogRpcMessage
To statement . . . . . . . . : 13

Certainly someone found those messages useful, but they're
meaningless and useless to me (the end user).

Eventually the outline will appear -- anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes later.

Even after it appears, and I do not touch anything, the QZRCSRVS job on the
it still running 90% cpu for a couple minutes, then it quiets down.

Right now I am not doing anything, have not touched that member for 10
minutes,
no other members open, and the QZRCSRVS job is running 90% still.
I wonder what it's doing? Oh yeah, almost forgot:

Client request - run program QSYS/QWCRTVCA.
Client request - run program QSYS/QVDEOBJL.
Client request - run program QSYS/QWCRTVCA.
Client request - run program QSYS/QDBRTVFD.
Client request - run program QSYS/QWCRTVCA.
Client request - run program QSYS/QWCRTVCA.
Client request - run program QSYS/QUSRJOBI.
Client request - run program QSYS/QWCRTVCA.
Client request - run program QSYS/QSYRUSRI.
Client request - run program QSYS/QWCRTVCA.
Client request - run program QSYS/QWCRTVCA.
Client request - run program QSYS/QUSRJOBI.
Client request - run program QSYS/QWCRTVCA.
Client request - run program QSYS/QSYRUSRI.

The actual question:

Is the outline NOT using cache data anymore? Sure does seem to hit
the i more than I thought it would need to, and displays nothing
while doing so.

Stu