That is the one thing I noticed as well. The compiler is quicker than the verifier. The only thing which I noted is that, while you wait awhile with the verifier, there were some noted benefits with the errors returned in that from the error list view, you had interaction with the LPEX editor view when you clicked on an error message, or a change in the LPEX editor updated the error view. That has been helpful. (This, BTW, is for RPGLE or free format RPG programs.) And since I haven't used the compiler, I was unaware of the error listing being produced faster, but will go with your statement that it is...

-----Original Message-----
From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of MichaelQuigley@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 10:15 AM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] field attributes in Outline view RDP V8.5

I don't know how IBM has implemented the per-user licensing on the
compiler at 6.1 and beyond. But when they first announced it they were
very clear that if you write programs that are compiled on the system, you
are a user or at least need a license. Submitting them all under one (or
a few) user ids was never intended to be allowed.

As far as compiling or verifying unless things have significantly
improved, the COBOL verifier is useless on V5R4 with WDSC 7. I can click
verify and then tie up the whole workbench for at least a minute or
two--even on the smallest programs. When submitting a compile I get near
instantaneous results with the error list and all. (Compiling may take 10
seconds or so on a very large program.)