I'll definitely take a look again - and I hope there's a special code for newline and all that.

Thanks
Vern

On 3/14/2012 8:47 AM, Paul Bailey wrote:
The \1 capturing group replacement stumped me at first, until I realised it was $1 not \1 for the first replacement, $2 for the second, etc. I'm not sure when this appeared, I can't see it documented anywhere, and I can't remember where I saw it first, but it works. Google says it has been mentioned before on WDSCI-L back in 2006: http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l/200605/msg00295.html

Some flavours of regular expression differ in minor ways, I guess. The RDP help pages take you to the java.util.regex.Pattern javadoc for regular expression help, but the capturing group replacement values aren't right, so maybe there are other minor differences. (Such as the inability to use \n as a replacement value.) I wonder if these are bugs or misleading/erroneous documentation.

-Paul.

-----Original Message-----
From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vern Hamberg
Sent: 14 March 2012 12:43
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i& iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Compare showing sequence number differences

Hi Paul

I've found that things like \1 for preserving found text are not available in replacement strings - that's the main thing - searching is pretty good, replacing is lacking.

Now maybe there's more in 8.03 - I've not explored that - have they improved the support?

I'm in the LPEX editor - it seems that maybe the Eclipse editor is better, but I've never used that for RPG or CL source.

I'll reply privately on the RTC stuff, at least for now. No biggie.

Vern