From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Fellner
Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:42 PM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] RDp 8.0.3 crashes during Verify

Over the years, it has been an ongoing problem that an RPGLE (and SQLRPGLE) Program Verify or Outline View Refresh will crash the workbench session, with no messages in the metadata .log file.

This happens because both these actions call a RPG source scanning component (called the program verifier) in a native code DLL from the JVM environment.
If that native code DLL encounters a null pointer error; unfortunately it immediately crashes the JVM running the workbench with no chance for recovery.

Various APARs have been reported and been fixed for this over the years and product releases, always with the same crash result, but due to different and specific scenarios in the source.
ie. due to different combinations of statements and program field definitions.

If you are experiencing this type of immediate crash with no related metadata log information when running a RPG verify or Outline view refresh, it might be that you have discovered another special scenario that causes a null pointer error in the program verifier.

Usually these can be reproduced by repeating the same action on the same source member.

If you encounter this, you should report the problem in a PMR, so that we can identify and fix the problem in an APAR.

Once we identify the problem, there may sometimes be an easy source change which will circumvent the problem.

John Fellner, RD Power Development
fellner@xxxxxxxxxx