"Or do I just toss this and ask my business partner for the newest version
?"

Yes, of course that would be my first suggestion since RDi is not
supported on Win 7

However, to get you going I would suggest two things:

1) The trial license in the RDi install has expired so to get around this
just temporarily set the date on your machine back a couple of years.
After you install and apply your permanent license then correct the date.

2) As with RDp you probably want to start the installer with an
Administrator id and also right click on the installer and select
Run-As-Administrator.

Mike

Mike Hockings, P.Eng.
IBM Rational Developer for System z and Power Technical Support
IBM Canada Ltd. Laboratory
hockings@xxxxxxxxxx
voice 1-905-413-3199 T/L 313-3199 ITN 23133199