I’ve run WDSC 7 for a couple of years on the same machine. Each morning it takes maybe a minute to load.

I also installed the RDP 8.0.2 60-day evaluation this week. The first time I loaded it, it took forever to get going. I closed it down and restarted it. This time it came up quicker than WDSC, so I put down the initial slowness to conversions that it was doing to the workspace.

I started it today, and again it took forever to get to the splash screen, then once I confirmed the workspace it loaded quickly. Ended it and started it again, and it got to the splash screen almost immediately.

I rebooted, didn’t start any application except task manager and started RDP again. I got the same result, taking forever to get to the splash screen, then end and restart, and it is faster to start then WDSC. Curious thing is that during the long period to get to the splash screen task manager showed very low CPU activity.

At some point I also had RDP 7.5 60-day evaluation installed and I had no startup issues with it. (Eventually it expired and I deleted it.)

I ran out of time for further testing, but tonight I started RDP 8.0.2 60-day evaluation copy on my home PC. It started quickly, just as fast as WDSC.

Anyone experienced anything similar in start-up times?

Both machines are XP, SP3.

Work machine has superior hardware, with a faster CPU, 2mb of memory and dual monitors. Home PC is a P4 with just 1 mb and one monitor.

Work PC is running Trend Micro virus software, home PC is running Norton Security Suite.

I’m leaning towards Trend Micro being the issue, but I would have expected it to be showing more activity in task manager. Maybe it is having some issue starting the JVM.