About 8 years ago (more or less), I spoke with Violaine Batthish
regarding this. (It was at a COMMON Conference--either in Minneapolis or
Indianapolis. I don't recall for certain.) She saw the need for
something that would be simpler than full-blown Eclipse/Java plug-ins. She
had worked with the developers and powers that be--she shared that id
didn't look like REXX macros would ever be supported. There was a
possibility to have something easier for most people to do than Java, but
I've never seen anything come of it.

While REXX may not get supported, there is a legitimate requirement here.
Perhaps a DCR for that would kick-start or re-start the effort.

I know I wrote a couple REXX macros back in CODE, but I don't know that I
would remember much anything about how they worked.