+1 I wish I could have said it as good.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 12:28 PM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] IBM is so confusing!

I personally still use PDM/SEU more often than WDSC (or it's successors)
because I find WDSC much more cumbersome to use. I have days where I
like to use WDSC... days where I sit down and work on the same code all
day long, and do some really serious coding. But most days I'm just
quickly looking up some tidbit from a piece of code, or refresing my
memory on it... and it's much quicker and easier to do that in SEU/PDM.

I also frequently read code from a myriad of places... from other
people's desks (non-programmers) or from home, or my iPad. I also
regularly use FreeBSD, for which IBM doesn't support WDSC/RDi/RDP. It's
a lot of quick jump-in and jump-out. And WDSC sucks for that.

<fruitless-tirade voice="shrill crescendo">

This attempt to kill SEU/PDM really frustrates me. In a capitalist
world, products are made and sold, and the ones that the most people use
make money are successful. The ones where a company doesn't listen to
it's customers fail. However, that's never been the case with WDSC. In
that case, the vast majority runs PDM/SEU, and IBM tries to force them
to change.

Don't like RDP? You're not entitled to that opinion. RDP is better. We
don't care what you think. Won't use it? Too bad, because I'm going to
ram it down your throat. What? You want to use another OS besides
Windows? Open wide, because I'm going to ram Windows down your throat,
too. What? No, I'm not ramming Windows down your throat, not at all!
Look, I partially support two very obscure implementations of Linux that
nobody uses! Hey, that's the same thing as giving you freedom, can't you
see that? What? Mac?! Apple has no right to compete with the One True
Operating System, Windows XP. Maybe we'll support a very limited version
of Windows 7, but that's about it. FreeBSD is right out.

</fruitless-tirade>

Don't get me wrong. I do like WDSC, and I do use it. I agree that it
has features above and beyond the older tools. I agree that all IBM i
developers should at least _try_ it, and figure out (like any tool)
where it has a good fit for them.

I don't agree with IBM trying to ram it down people's throats AND charge
them extra for it.