Good luck with that...

The fact of the matter...the license changes don't save any existing
customers any money...

Now if you happen to be a new customer and are small enough that
development and production are on the same box (hopefully at least
separate partitions)...you might pay a little less for a box at 7.1
than you would have if you'd bought a box a v5r4...

On the other hand, if you're large enough that development and
production are separate machines, you're probably going to spend more
given the per users based costs for development at 7.1 than you would
have for the system tier based cost for development at v5r4.

But most existing customers are going to get screwed...the only ones
who might not are those who have a small number of developers for a
given system tier and whom use PDM/SEU for coding either RPGIII or
RPGIV (but not both!).

Honestly, I can accept the rational (no pun intended) behind the
changes...the rational folks need a revenue stream to support
development of the tools. But IMO, the terms IBM have decided to
provide us have the effect of punishing existing customers who've been
drinking the IBM kool-aid (new development in Java and ILE RPG using
WDSC).

I dread trying to explain to management why the upgrade from v5r4 to
7.1 using going to cost us $$$ when they've been trained to expect a
no-cost upgrade as long as we're current on support. I'm pretty sure
I'll be able to hold on to ILE development....but I fear I'll end up
getting WDSCi 7 replaced by PDM/SEU!

What I wish IBM would have done is offer entitlements to ILE compilers
and RDp based upon the tier when upgrading from v5r4 to 6.1 or 7.1.
Support of OPM compilers and PDM/SEU could have been officially
dropped with the products offered as a PPRQ or something for those who
really want to pay for the privilege of living in the past.

Charles

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Kurt Anderson