On 1/11/2011 6:19 PM, Sam wrote:

[To recap, high level request is:
"Be able to select a data element name in the source and have a function
to "find in outline"]

[Edmund suggested highlight a variable, Menu Search -> Text -> File]

So, from a quick experiment, it highlights the lines that contain the
text with a outlined yellow arrow in the left margin. (WDSC7.0 is what I
have.)

This is definitely new to me.

I do see a couple of drawbacks:

1) I work mostly with the current pane full size. When I do
Search->Text->File it goes back to a window, because it brings up the
Search Pane.

Of course, from the Search Pane you can use the Up and Down yellow
outlines arrows go the previous or next match. And I suppose I could
make the search pane a floating view and keep the editing window maximized.

As a keyboard bigot, this is more mousing than I like. You do get the
Search View, which takes you out of full screen editing. I could live
with that I suppose, but... The keyboard shortcut to find the next
match is Ctrl . (period). Maximise the editor pane and that keystroke
no longer works. I guess fiddling the Views is the answer - after all,
if the Outline View were open, it would take up screen space.

2) The outline view does show where a field is defined. If it
originated in a file, outline tells me that immediately. This doesn't

Right! Additionally, Context menu -> Selected -> Find Selection doesn't
find variables, it does a search, which means looking for IN would get
you IN, IND, INDICATOR, INSIDE, INSERT, FINEAMOUNT, etc. Not as nice as
finding the variable!

Me, I'd like to see you continue to investigate new outline functionality.

What do others think?

Hear, hear!
--buck, a very happy WDSC user who's not complaining one whit.