In RDi 7.5 and RDp 7.6, not only can you open the visuall DDS Design tool
from the local file in i Projects but you get a brand new, integrated with
Eclipse visual designer for both Screen and Reports (DSPF and PRTF).

But even in WDSc 7.0, I don't understand why you can open CODE Designer on
the local file. I don't have a copy around to test it with, but I know
that the tool itself will work with local source, it will still ask for a
connection in order to get info from the IBM i. We had to set up a special
bridge under the covers to create old CODE server connections that get
their information from new RSE connections. I guess, it is possible that i
Projects don't have that magic bridge in place, especially back in WDSc
7.0.

In any case, upgrading will get you a much more integrated experience.

|------------>
| From: |
|------------>
|"Larenzo Alexander" <Larenzo.Alexander@xxxxxxx> |
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To: |
|------------>
|"Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Clientfor System i & iSeries" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> |
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date: |
|------------>
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|07/10/2010 02:37 PM |
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject: |
|------------>
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Re: [WDSCI-L] I was just thinking about what would make iSeriesProjects better... |
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Sent by: |
|wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx |

Also it seems like it would be a better way to open up code designer for
display and printer files without going to remote systems to open code
designer and changing the display and then importing the source back to
iseries project to overwrite the source and then compiling and push the
changes back to the server.

I'm still using WDSC 7, there may be a better way in later versions. :-)