On Oct 2, 2010, at 6:13 PM, wdsci-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Is there a disadvantage or problem in turning on the XML tooling?

No disadvantage Mike. But if you were an RPG developer who had used snippets extensively in earlier versions to help with your RPG, COBOL and CL would you have thought to try enabling XML capabilities to be able to use it? I sure as hell didn't and neither did most people. After having looked a complete idiot in front of a room of people that I was demoing to, I finally got an answer from IBM via the Cafe telling me where it had been hidden. I don't mind looking an idiot - I do that often enough - but it gives a bad impression of the product.

I agree with Joe that having a feature "hidden" is better than having it removed, but for those of us who work hard to convince others to use the modern tooling it really is depressing. Not only do features come and go, apparently at random, but IBM doesn't even tell us about it half the time - we just have to find out the hard way.

It is time perhaps for a little more consistency.

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com