Joe

I don't remember saying I love CODE so much. Somehow you pulled that out of comments but I don't know whence it came. I just happened to use it more than SDA. Our products don't have all that many screens, anyway. And I've worked mostly on utility software for many years now.

I tried to get CODE/400 and VARPG into a shop I worked at somewhere in the late 90's. They went for ASNA's Visual RPG (is that the name? I forget). One problem then was the lack of education offerings. Claus Weiss would be glad to come out and train us on it, but ASNA had much more aggressive training options. I was sorry to see that.

Since you have almost no experience using CODE, it's best that someone else write about it vis-a-vis the Screen Designer. That would still be useful, since there are many on this list that use CODE, it seems.

BTW, you did mention CODE Designer in a post in these lists in 2007 - "...the Design tab is as good as CODE Designer..." in http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l/200705/msg00470.html

Vern

Joe Pluta wrote:
Vern Hamberg wrote:
I've never heard anyone ask that Screen Designer "emulate" the CODE one. I've seen both (Technology Preview {TP} vs CODE) and found that everything in CODE was in the TP in some form. Hardly anything was new. Seriously!! The underlying code base? Of course, but not the interface in many aspects. Same way to add fields, same concept of screens, handling indicators, etc. The palette is a cool addition, I think.
Dude, you may be correct. Screen Designer may be a one-for-one port of the same features in CODE. I wouldn't know, I don't use CODE. But if they are, then you should be happy since you like CODE so much!
As someone said, I too think it'd be helpful to have a comparison of CODE and the new Designer.
Won't be me. I'll compare Screen Designer and SDA.

Joe