From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2010 12:06 AM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client
forSystem i & iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] RDp v7.5

Vern Hamberg wrote:
Jon

You're not responding to Jon, Vern, you're attacking me. Have the
courtesy to do so directly.

I agree that there isn't that much new in Screen Designer. My post
about
Joe's article - well, I believe I quoted something that said the idea
of
"screens" is something we haven't had.
Something that was comparing RDPi to SDA. Clearly and specifically. One

of the big knocks against WDSC and RDi was the lack of a replacement for

SDA. It's there now. That was my point. Miss it and the rest of this
argument becomes futile.

Well, we HAVE had it, as you know
- and since at least 1998 in the CODE Designer.
CODE is dead. I wasn't comparing to CODE. CODE is dead.

This cannot be mitigated
by saying you are comparing only SDA and Screen Designer. The fact is,

the concept of screens is NOT new, it HAS been around for years.

Not in SDA. Most green screen programmers use SDA, not CODE. I was
comparing to SDA.

The Screen Designer might be rewritten from the ground up - but its
design is very much like that of CODE Designer - I have looked at the
technology preview and find it has so much of what CODE has. The
interface is about the same.

While the functions are the same, Screen Designer is about as different
from CODE as it can be. It's Eclipse-based. It uses properties. It
has a drag-n-drop palette with accordion selection. It uses tabs, not a

ring of documents. It's a different beast.

But again, I wasn't comparing to CODE, I was comparing to SDA.

There has been an argument that RDi 7.5 was a complete rewrite. Yes,
perhaps under the covers. But the appearance, the interface is not all

that different. And the rewrite has not justified moving to it for
many
folks. There have to be other factors to make it worth moving to, IMO.

I never said that RDPi is vastly different than RDi. I in fact noted
that the Screen Designer in RDPi is very much like the Screen Designer
in WDSC.

However, at the risk of repeating myself yet again, I was not comparing
Screen Designer to CODE, I was comparing it to SDA. I don't know many
people who used CODE. I sure didn't.

Joe