From: David FOXWELL

-----Message d'origine-----
[mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] De la part de Buck

I am a green-screen RPG programmer. That is, I do not do any
web/Java/PHP programming. For what I do, WDSC is hands down
faster typing. <tab> means TAB, and I can set my own tab
stops just like a real editor! It makes D specifications go
like lightning!

I'd like to know how much faster. Managers want figures, not rough ideas. As the only regular user of WDSc in the shop. I'm stuck on a misfiring old V6.0 based on eclipse 3.1, I believe. Eclipse is the standard tool for our JAVA guys so they have a free version at 3.4. I say that comparing WDSC and SEU is like using block notes for JAVA instead of eclipse. Ok maybe I exaggerate a little. The next time I have a moan about it, I'd like to say something like "Rdi offers an x% increase in programmer production".

Personally, I wouldn't focus on typing speed as a measure of programmer
productivity. I'd probably get replaced by an alien who can type 150
words per minute...

If you want one firm number, try this exercise. The next time you need
to debug a batch program, you and a co-worker do it at the same time.
He uses traditional green-screen-only tools and you use WDSC SEP. You
can call it a training exercise for him to learn the batch application :-)

I've been using one GUI editor or another for more than a decade and I'd
be very hard pressed to even /define/ programmer productivity much less
measure it, or quantify my increase. For instance, I've solved many a
problem waiting for my dinner to cook; nowhere near a keyboard. Is my
productivity zero because I'm not typing?

Measuring programmer productivity is usually very difficult in our
groups. We almost never have a function point analysis of the work to
be done, and therefore no real number on the size of our 'in box.' Is
it no wonder we can't figure out how many items have flowed into the
'out box?'
--buck