Joe

I never said that I am as productive in SEU as I am in WDSC+ - I said that I use the tool that makes me most productive for the task at hand - in so many words.

Merging code can have a tremendous impact in some situations, and those have to do with writing code here. In your shop, maybe not. In our shop, maybe yes. No categorical statements allowed, please!! I speak to the entire process, not an isolated item. To effectively dismiss a valuable tool because you don't happen to use it, well, that makes no sense to me.

What I wrote speaks for itself. Again, someone is reading other things into it.

I refuse to take a categorical dogmatic position here - other than to say that all tools give me benefit sometime or other. If that is not something you can accept, I don't know what else to say, so I won't.

Regards
Vern

Joe Pluta wrote:
Vern Hamberg wrote:
Kurt

Scott didn't say, as you misquoted him, "...SEU is no different in RDi in regard to productivity..." - he said something more like "...the advantages...are being constantly overstated in these forums..."

Those are completely different. I agree with the latter. Do I use WDSC+? Of course. Do I find it super-productive? Naw. Does it help me do things it'd be less simple to do in PDM or SEU? Sometimes. But there is still nothing as good for merging changes as option 55 in PDM. That just isn't available in WDSC+.

If you are as productive in SEU as you are in RDi, then you simply aren't taking advantage of the tool, or you're writing old style code. I don't ever merge changes, so I don't care about that (we use pessimistic locking so we don't have that issue), but even if I did, that would be a single issue that has nothing to do with the overall writing of code. I suppose if you spend 50% of your time doing source merges, it might make a difference, but if you're spending half your time doing merges, you have other problems <grin>.

I am on average twice as productive in RDi, whether it's the outline or the content assist or the colored syntax or the task view or the ease of copying source from one machine to another or the powerful search capabilities or the user-defined commands or ...

And that's working on a mix of RPG II through ILE.

So you use the tool for the job that best fits it. Both green-screen apps and graphical/browser/thick client apps have their place.

I'm just sayin'!
Vern
SEU has no place as the primary development tool for a programmer, in ANY language. It works, but it's the wrong tool for the job.

How often do you use SEU to write Java code, Vern?

Just askin'

Joe