Why would a black background aid in saving your eyesight?

Here's a NASA study on background color.
http://colorusage.arc.nasa.gov/bkg_1.php

-----Original Message-----
From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bryce Martin
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 3:05 PM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] 86 lines of code

I try to use black backgrounds where I can so that I can save my eye sight
for as long as possible. Then I can keep using 8 point fonts and seeing
lots of lines :D

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

"Wintermute, Sharon" <Sharon.Wintermute@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
03/15/2010 03:36 PM
Please respond to
Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for
System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for
System i & iSeries" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] 86 lines of code

Rotated on a Dell 1905FP. At 11 I get 61 lines. At 10 and I get 65
lines with a good 3rd of it in non-used (over 70 columns) so I could
put the outline and stuff there. I usually put the outline , table
view, error list, and remote explorer on the other monitor in a tabbed
format.

The extra four lines not that important so I usually leave it at 11. I
suppose the biggest difference is after using eclipse for so long, I
like the white background instead.

Sharon Wintermute