The flashlight button is the same as going to the Search menu of the menu bar and clicking Search...

In the window you see when clicking the flashlight, you should be using the iSeries search tab. That uses the FNDSTRPDM command behind the covers.

Which kind of search do you use from the flashlight button? There are over half a dozen different ones.

"Find string" executed as you describe is also the same search mechanism under the covers - it just limits you to the filter or whatever. I know it is the same, because the search text is the same as I entered in a prior search using the iSeries search option of the Search menu.

HTH
Vern

Kurt Anderson wrote:
Hi Michael,

I'm on WDSC 7.0 as well and this is what I've found out about searches.

Search via the flashlight icon just below the menu will allow very fast searching an entire source member (and even multiple sources so long as they have similar names). This is the "Search" function.

Performing a "Find String" is much slower, and if done over a source file with many members may take a while to run. This is accessible via right-clicking a source member or filter and getting the pop-up menu. (It may be accessible in other ways, however I only know of the ways I mentioned.)

Hope that helps,

Kurt Anderson
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
CustomCall Data Systems