Bryce

OK - help in WDSC is tough to work with sometimes. I just went to the little command line below the source view and entered "help print" and hit enter. Got me to the help for the print command. Then I saw the link to the "print.tokenized parameter". This led me to some info, including this clip -

"...the *print* command will use the current style attributes to print the current view's document text..."

So I guess tokenized means that the printing will use what is defined in Preferences->LPEX Editor->Appearance in the Styles list therein. That's what I have seen, at any rate. On a B&W printer, you get shading for the various colors you see in the editor view.

Again, that's not the same as extracting tokens from a string.

Yikes, that's a lot of work to get information!!

HTH
Vern

Bryce Martin wrote:
Vern,
Unfortunately the help text I found was very generic and only explained the basic action of having the Tokenized boxed checked/unchecked. No explanation further that I found, but then again I didn't go digging too awful deep.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/09/2010 09:30 AM
Please respond to
Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] Printing Code from LPEX

No. Source code has no builtin formatting codes, although some have added the 5250 display bytes for display on the green screen.

And a "token" is not something that "...controls background and text colors...". A token, in the most primitive sense, is just a word separated by some delimiter, often a blank, sometimes a semi-colon. The C function strtok just gives you back a "token" out of a string - and uses a delimiter you specify, IIRC.

The "tokenizing" in LPEX is done by LPEX according to certain rules - sometimes found in a syntax file - TextPad has a similar concept - you put in a list of various "tokens" and how they should be displayed.

Tokenizing in LPEX is perhaps better called colorization, IMO.

For printing, that colorizing or other emphasis is done by LPEX - and you can turn it off. Turning it off gives you the plain text. Leaving it on gives you the colorized effect.

I think there's a little confusion on the use of the word "tokenize" = probably the fault of the LPEX usage - there's probably some help text in WDSC that is worth checking on what is going on.

Later
Vern

Bryce Martin wrote:
so it just breaks off the "token" that controls the background and text colors and just send the plain text "token"? I have never dealt with
the
intricacies of how stream data is formatted, stored, and processed so please pardon my ignorance on this issue.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777