I can't really offer any demo code, exactly, though you might find some
within this link:

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/software/iws/index.html

This link describes the Integrated Web Services for i product, which
became available at V5R4. Here's a snip from the FAQ:

What is integrated Web services for i5/OS?
The integrated Web services for i5/OS support is a term to describe the
following technologies that are part of i5/OS:

1. The integrated Web services server
2. The integrated Web services client for ILE

The integrated Web services server is a fully functional Web services
server in which ILE-based program objects can be deployed as Web
services.

The integrated Web services client for ILE allows ILE-based applications
to act as Web service clients by generating C or C++ stubs that can be
invoked by an ILE program. The stubs remove the complexity of the Web
service protocol by taking care of serializing and deserializing Web
service requests and responses.

I think WDSC 7.0 should work fine at V5R4, to support your development
of web services wrappers. I do not recommend WDSC 6 at all. RBD can be
used to generate web services, but if that is the only use you made of
RBDe70, that tooling is probably overkill... If EGL is part of your
migration strategy, then you really should consider upgrading to
Rdi-SOA, which contains the EGL RUI tooling, and start from there.

Hth,
-Eric DeLong