Good point. We do have two programmers nearing retirement who are going to be hard to push over to RDi so we will have a mix with some using SEU and some RDi. I will start digging into RDi user functions.

Has anyone written a book on using RDi yet? I know there is a bunch of stuff online but I still like my manuals :)

-----Original Message-----
From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of darren@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:08 AM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Survey of RDi users related to Source Code management

Maybe the subversion stuff would work, I don't know because I haven't tried
it, but your development team would have to use it 100%. What if someone
didn't use RDi to make a change? If possible, it would be better to have
Rdi call your custom stuff on the i (aka. iSeries), that way you'd have a
method for using RDi, and you could still use PDM if someone on your team
didn't want to use RDi for every change made. The User Functions from the
Table/Object View seem the best option without creating your own plug-ins.

I did see someone use a free utility called TN5250J, or something like
that, to run a green screen in RDi. Now, by itself this is nothing big,
but I think it had the ability to open an editing session when using a
special PDM option.

Mike Cunningham
<mike.cunningham@
pct.edu> To
Sent by: "'Websphere Development Studio
wdsci-l-bounces@m Client for iSeries'"
idrange.com <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

05/21/2009 10:52 Fax to
AM
Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] Survey of RDi users
Please respond to related to Source Code management
Websphere
Development
Studio Client for
iSeries
<wdsci-l@midrange
.com>

I agree 100%. Change management is a much bigger thing than just source
code management. But we all have to live within a budget and while I would
love to have a full Change Management system I can only afford source code
management. And using a Change Management system built with an I
environment in mind would be better than a one built around a different
environment and ported.