David,

You are quite correct in your "perception". Interestingly enough great care
was taken to build a product that looked and worked exactly like WDSc so
that it would minimize any disruption to our customers. Take a close look
however at virtually every feature of the product. Sometimes the
enhancements are extremely subtle like one new parameter, in other cases
they are much more obvious. 7.5 was built using RTCi and an agile
development process. I was one of the "stake holders" privileged to sit in
on the weekly review meetings. Unfortunately there is so many enhancements
it is almost impossible to describe them. The big issues are speed and
performance. Commands and filters are a key area where you will see the
changes.

Please also note that not only did the announcement I reference indicate
that WDSC would go end of service on April 30, 2010, it also stated that it
was stablized at V7 at V5R4 of i5/OS and would not fully support RPG or
COBOL at IBM i 6.1.