On 8-Mar-09, at 1:00 PM, wdsci-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have a simple question that IBM doesn't seem to be able to answer. Does
anyone know if RDi can be installed on a PC that is never
connected to a remote system and still be fully functional as far as writing
RPG, CL, C/C++ and COBOL are concerned?

Repeating the answer I gave on Midrange-L

"fully functional" - No. You can't compile <grin> - but I assume that is not quite what you mean.

Other things you can't do includes verifying anything that needs external file descriptions, and that also means that you can't get an Outline view either. But I have and do use it disconnected a lot. I find projects work quite well if I know I'm going to be working disconnected for a period of time.

Some of our customers take a copy of their workspace home with them and use that so they can work using the file descriptions they have cached.

If you are lugging a laptop around of course it is a lot easier.

The main thing to remember is that you must force caching of any files you need to use. Once cached any changes that you make to the DDS for that object will of course not be reflected in the cached version. That's not to say that a brave soul can't make changes in the cache files ...

It has been a long-standing request of mine that IBM supply a simple tool to re-generate cache files from the DDS source. But I've been waiting for several years now - with CODE the problem was the complex binary format used for the cache - but WDSC/RDi use XML files so why it hasn't happened is anybody's guess.

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com