Great article, just to add a one more comment to the ton of comments done so
far in favor of double monitors:

Here at the company we started to use the double monitors set up since about
one year and half ago, the PHP developers improved their productivity by
don't have to mess with so many alt-tab key sequences while they had
Eclipse, two or three PDFs opened, IE, Firefox, thunderbird, two SSH
sessions opened, internet-voice program; plus MS Word, Excel and few other
miscellaneous programs; they say that can not live without a second monitor
now that they have such experience.

At the beginning I tried to put an additional FP to my laptop, it simple
bothered me because I am a son of the keyboard and 5250, so I thought could
handle the same environment described above plus several 5250 sessions
required in one single screen by having alt-tab.

Suddenly, I had to change my laptop to start working with a double monitor
desktop computer, for me was very annoying at the beginning perhaps for so
many years doing the same routine (as I said, I'm a son of the keyboard and
5250), but I gave an opportunity to it.

4 months later, I switched back to a laptop, I couldn't anymore without
double monitors then I added a portrait monitor. That configuration keeps me
away from distractions by accommodating the windows opened properly. Right
now, I'm putting together some APIs on an RPG program, it is very nice to
have the IBM documentation opened in the laptop's monitor; and in the
portrait one, the RDi with horizontal split screen couple times to see three
different segments of the program plus an detached tab at the bottom of the
screen to watch other programs, like the several /copy's I made for this
project.

Kind of cool, huh!

Jorge Merino
http://vektr.com