From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rod Verity
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 11:19 AM
To: WDSCI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Switching to WDSC/RDI from SEU

I thought I would add my comments to the pile. I do not have
a wealth of
experience, but I have faced a lot of frustrations trying to
justify using
WDSC in my shop. First off, we are a OPM Cobol shop with VB .net
applications front-ending into some of the Cobol routines. So we are
definitely in the minority. This has resulted in very
deficient support
from IBM and really others because of our "different world".
Not only do we
use Cobol, we also use CICS which pretty much puts us in
world of our own.
I have struggled to use and justify WDSC for well over a year. Some
functions within WDSC do not work for Cobol. Debug was and
continues to be
a nightmare to set up using CICS. Sometimes it works,
sometimes it doesn't.
It took me probably close to 3 months of searching for help before I
finally got some advice that would actually work. IBM gave up
on me before
I actually got it working using a combination of suggestions from this
forum. Shortcut functions with SEU are not easily matched in
WDSC. And like
was mentioned earlier, SEU/COBOL/CICS people are putting it bluntly,
"old"(me included) so old tricks die hard. But attempting to
master WDSC
and trying to make it work, not to mention productive, in our
environment
has been an effort in futility. Unless RDI changes the
picture, which I
understand it won't, I would have an extremely hard time
justifying buying
a product when the free version couldn't even make us more productive.
Sorry to be negative...just the experience I had with the
intermittent use
of WDSC. I would welcome any suggestions/comments/advice.

Rod Verity

Confidentiality Notice:

The preceding e-mail message (including any attachments) contains information that may be confidential, protected by applicable legal privileges, or constitute non-public information. It is intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message by unintended recipients is
not authorized and may be unlawful.