>I push open solutions for the business when it fits, such as using Open
Office instead of upgrading our MS Office products.

This is a first important step - starting to use apps that aren't
dependent on Microsoft. If you are a developer reading this thread and
wishing you could try Linux but because of politics and such you can't,
then go ahead and start trying the Windows apps you would also be using if
on Linux. For example, I used FireFox for about two/three years before
switching to Linux and OpenOffice for about 1 year before switching.
Unfortunately there is still a big gap for those that wish to connect to
their Exchange server for calendaring. The Novell Linux based Evolution
product sucks (locks up and crashes), and Thunderbird doesn't integrate
with Exchange calendars (though it does work quite nicely with Exchange
via IMAP). Right now I actually use Thunderbird for all my email
(Exchange and Gmail) and then I run Outlook under Codeweavers
(http://www.codeweavers.com - $40) for the calendaring which runs fairly
well on Linux (i.e. I run Outlook 2003 right on Linux).

One of the main things I haven't found is a replacement for GoToMeeting
that runs natively on Linux. A lot of them out there are promising Linux
support, but haven't done it.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com

Bryce Martin wrote:

Considering the fact that these IDE's are written in Java you'd think that
creating a version that ran on Linux wouldn't be too bad. You'd just have
do a little bit of retooling to run on the Linux JVM right? And if the
program is designed properly one would think that this wouldn't be too
large of an undertaking. One of the main arguments that people make when
using Java is that it is platform independent. It seems that Java is
actually as independent as the program's design allows it to be. Its ok
though, Linux is starting to make vendors pay attention. The cry from the
user community is starting to get louder. So if you want it, speak up to
the vendors and make them understand that you will go to great lengths to
get it if they don't provide it. I commend your efforts thus far Aaron. I
wish I was free to do those things where I work. I push open solutions
for the business when it fits, such as using Open Office instead of
upgrading our MS Office products. It would save us hundreds of thousands
of dollars, and since the Open Office devs were very good in their design
work it will take very little retraining.

/end-rant

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
Ext. 4777

Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
01/08/2009 09:21 AM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] WDSC V7 Turbo Boost

I am paying close attention to VirtualBox as they are going to be coming
out with the equivalent of other products' "coherence" mode which will
allow you to run Windows applications as if they are on the Linux
desktop. Sure Windows still needs to be booted in a small virtual
Window, but it is something I can live with until IBM gets a Linux
version available. All I want is the ability to easily copy/paste and
Alt+Tab to and from all applications.

What is curious to me is if the non-IBM i EGL tooling can run in Linux
entirely. Anybody know? When I went to OSCON (O'Reilly Open Source
Conference) a few years ago I was left with my jaw open at how many
people DIDN'T run Windows. I was by far in the minority sitting there
with my black little Thinkpad running XP (80% of attendees had Macs).
If those are the developers IBM is targeting with the new EGL tooling
then they forgot one important ingredient - the OS those developers run
for their desktop :-)

On a similar note, the competing MyEclipseBlue only runs on Windows -
what a dumb bummer.
http://www.myeclipseide.com/index.php?name=Downloads&req=viewsdownload&sid=32

(Though the regular MyEclipseIDE *does* run natively on Linux).

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com

Pete Helgren wrote:

The Linux world is getting better but my primary complaint is that some
applications (not necessarily desktop apps) still need to be compiled
and recompiled when there are kernel upgrades (Asterisk is one of
those). But in general the desktop world in Linux is pretty trouble

free.

Given that XP will no longer be sold after the end of this month, there
is will an opportunity for an "XP Replacement" in the market until
Windows 7 is released. I'd love to get a few of my customers to embrace
a Linux/OpenOffice/Firefox/Thunderbird environment.

As for spending all of my time in Linux, I still cannot until we get a
RBD/RDi version that runs in Linux. If I could get *that* then I could
spend 95% of my time in Linux (I am running OpenSUSE 11.1).

Someday......

Pete