Someone put together a clip library for TextPad a few years ago, for RPG III format lines - what you get at the top of a WDSC editor window or if you put an F on a line in SEU.

I've done a little work building format lines for RPG IV - not ready for prime time, though. But this'd give you rudimentary editing in a text editor for RPG. No compiling, but TextPad, and other editors, can run macros and stuff.

Anyhow, it is possible to edit in a text editor.

Vern

Dan McAnarney wrote:
On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 on this mailing list, Guillermo Andrades asked for:
"I think an RPG editor/CallCompiler in PC would be really useful for a lot of RPG programmers."
I built a personal set of software tools which has some of the functionality of WDSC without the bulk - and particularly the functionality mentioned.
My Base Requirements when I started this:
1) More powerful, familiar editor. Interestingly, the editor I love, is Kedit (www.kedit.com), a moved-to-the-PC version of the wonderful IBM standard XEDIT.2) Retention of line numbers and dates in source files across transfers both directions. I'm sure we've all done minor changes simply FTPing source directly, but date retention is important for long-term program maintenance.An additional requirement in my environment which I implemented:3) Quickly drill down into CLs which call other CLs which call further CLs (or RPG). a) single keystroke to edit the source of a called program (CL or RPG) b) Ability to view data with a keystroke on a CL data file. c) ability to view DDS with keystroke on an RPG file-spec name.4) Compile from PC, return listing or EVENTS file from the AS/400.
Capabilities I received "for free" because of Kedit include better analysis features such as program slicing capabilities.
Kedit has a robust macro language which I use to create on-the-fly FTP scripts, launch them, and then edit the files generated by the AS/400 and returned via FTP. I implemented PC macros as necessary to preserve line numbers and dates in source data, then transfer back to my AS/400 to perform the compile. There are several support programs on the AS/400 for this processing. My philosophy was that I wanted a simple command from the PC side, thus the macro calls have few parameters; generally a command to run, and a file to retrieve from the 400 when the command has completed. FTP has little in terms of status communication so any results have to be returned as a file. My system does not have all the capabilities of WDSC in many aspects, but it beats WDSC V6 hands down in others (some because Kedit is better than LPEX, some because I know Kedit better).
I have found that the scripting capabilities in Kedit's macro language let me more easily make bulk changes to source code. It is simple to take a list of programs (perhaps creating the list from PDM's Find String option 25) and making mass change to the members (say replace job description A with B) saving them to the AS/400 and compiling them.
I implemented quite a few other macros in my editor to manage simply editting source as RPG and CL (with lines and dates). I wouldn't think there are any PC editors which would be great at RPG. If anyone wants additional info or sample code, I'd be happy to share.
Windows LiveTM: Keep your life in sync. http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_howitworks_012009