The fact that Eclipse works mainly with __files__ in the workspace makes it really hard to have something like an editor for remote files and which makes it even more complicated is the fact that the source for rpg and cl etc. is not saved as files (but in the db as you know). So you will probably not find any editor which suits your needs good enough to get started. You have to start with something like an AbstractTextEditor and put in your functionality. Eclipse works with rules for syntax highlighting but the rules are coded in java and not in any config files (afaik). And even that is not as easy for fixed format source.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Pete Helgren
Gesendet: Montag, 4. August 2008 16:23
An: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Betreff: Re: [WDSCI-L] MyEclipse Feature Request

I looked into the edit/compile option and that piece would be fairly
simple. The editing challenge is building the syntax rules. There are
a bunch of eclipse plugins that are editors. I am kind of surprised
though that there isn't an editor that implements the syntax editing and
highlighting using a "rules" file that could just be plugged into the
editor itself. Dreamweaver has this kind of functionality and it would
be nice to find an Eclipse editor plugin that would do this. Then, all
you would have to do is build a file that has the syntax rules in it.

I downloaded a bunch of editors that looked promising but I came up dry
and I didn't have the time to pursue it further (still don't). The
compile is the easiest. Just submit the job and monitor for a
completion message and return the spool file (at it's simplest).

Debugging seems like it would be the toughest function to add. But,
again, if I could find a good "pluggable" editor for Eclipse we could
start there.

Pete

Aaron Bartell wrote:
There's no money to be had trying to write System i extensions for standard

Eclipse

Actually, I think there *is* money to be had, but maybe not as much as a
vendor would like. For example, if I could get a simple plugin that allowed
me to edit/compile/debug that would be a good start and I would be willing
to pay $30/yr for just that plugin similar to how MyEclipseIDE started out.

I have an abiding interest but no Java skill set.

I have the interest, potentially adequate Java skills, but have only
attempted one such plugin in Eclipse based on a tutorial Eric (last name?)
published years ago. I have done a fair amount of work with JT400.jar which
I am assuming is how we would connect to the server from Eclipse.

I did a little searching to see if the LPEX editor is *free* and it appears
it used to be included with Eclipse but no longer is. I did a search on
http://eclipseplugincentral.com but came up empty handed.

Looks like Mark Phippard asked this question some time ago:
http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.tools.cdt/msg00163.html

Here's another person developing an LPEX editor for WDSC v7 (I am not sure
why, maybe he meant the latest version of Eclipse).

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com