Joe Pluta wrote:
That's not cost. It's make vs. buy, and the make vs. buy issue is an
awfully rough one for most companies to bet the farm on these days.

Eh, I don't know ... I've always considered the 'make vs. buy' decision
to be applied to application packages, not development tools. I could be wrong though.

At the same time, there are very few companies that can afford the
resources you're suggesting.

I don't agree ... although I'm *NOT* an expert (I'm mostly a development
lab guy, as most of you know) ... I suspect that any organization that's
planning on, or already is, deploying a web front end already has the
web development talent in house. Getting the RPG developers to work
with them (yes, a challenge to say the least) isn't going to be the
hardest problem to solve.

From a cost standpoint, what you are suggesting is much *more*
expensive (in time, resources, development, debugging) than the EGL
approach.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

Zend PHP for i not free.

From what I understand, Zend Core (PHP for i) is free. Zend Platform
for i is the expensive bit.

My point is simply that, of the available options, EGL is fast
becoming the cheapest choice.

I guess that depends on your perspective ... from mine, I can't see it.

david