From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Tim Gornall
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:41 AM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [WDSCI-L] Webfacing out, EGL in

How does one go about "application re-engineering"? I just realized I don't
know how to separate the presentation and business logic. We have programs
originally written in RPG, then converted to LE mostly just to take
advantage of the newer op codes. They are not bound to other modules, no
sub procedures, no prototyping, etc. I suspect there are many shops like
this one out there. So if I was to re-engineer one of these apps, what
would it look like? Would it me broken into multiple modules, programs,
service programs, etc? I guess I'm trying to get an idea of a best
practices approach.

Tim

message: 3
date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:06:17 -0500
from: Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Webfacing out, EGL in

Aaron Bartell wrote:
How can we as IBM i professionals make decisions for our organization's
longterm success when IBM is continually stabilizing their different
modernization strategies, and thus only allowing for short-term success?

I'm only going to do this once, because the tone of this conversation is
already way too far in the negative, but it still needs at least one
response.

Webfacing was never a modernization strategy. IBM has always pointed
you towards application re-engineering, primarily through rewriting to
Java. That's IBM's strategy, always has been. However, we in the
midrange industry have resisted that for years, primarily because RPG is
a better language than Java for business development.

Snip...