Joe Pluta wrote:
You've got your opinion Buck. But I did want to point out some
facts: as far as green screen editing goes, RDi has more features
than WDSC, not less.

Well, opinions aside, aren't we supposed to be getting AWAY from green screen programming? :)

If you were using the Java EE capabilities of WDSC, then yes, you
will miss them in RDi and even RDi-SOA. But that's because you were
essentially getting the capabilities of RAD (a $4000 package) for no
extra charge.

This is something that's confused me about the way IBM is packaging WDSC
/ RDi ... clearly the wave of the future is to web enable applications
and provide service oriented interfaces to applications (SOA, but in a
more generic sense). Why would they pull OUT some of the basic features
that encourage that direction and ADD features that discourage it?

Eclipse is a large footprint? That's something of a minority
position these days. My installation of Eclipse 3.3. is about 170MB.
iSeries Access is 230MB, Paint Shop Pro is 270MB, Open Office is
311MB. Heck, the Java 5 SDK is 283MB. Visual Studio is 2.3GB, and
the MSDN library is another 2GB.

Storage on disk is one thing ... memory foot print is another ... my
copy of WDSC 7 is currently running with 312mb of active memory and
another 286mb of swapped memory. It currently has the largest footprint on my system by a factor of 3 (excluding VMWare server).

I currently have the java, rse, and sep perspective's open.

david