Richard Schoen wrote:
I'll add my two cents.
Linux can be used nicely as a back-end server to run Samba, Apache or
Tomcat based web apps and probably other server apps.

I have played enough with the Linux desktop software and talked to many,
many customers and students and I don't see MOST people EVER going away
from Windows or some variant unless they are using the Linux box as a
term server front end or something else where it's simply a
browser-access box.
It could happen for the server side stuff, but not the client :-)

Then again. I could be fooled :-)
Well, there are really broad groups of users and each has different needs. For example, you have "computer as an appliance" users who don't really care how it works, as long as it does what they need. Many home users fall into this camp, Then there are the business users, who really are quite similar, except they may be a bit more savvy. Again, as long as the computer works they won't care. And while Linux might not be quite as easy to use, some of the dstributions, such as Xandros, are pretty darned similar (and IMO easy enough to use to turn a beginner loose on them).

Power users may never be able to change if they have a specific Windows application that they rely on. But just like your media types need Macs, some of your power types need Windows. You buy for the need.

That leaves developers. I guess if you're doing .NET, it makes sense to stay in Windows. But if you're using Java EE for your architecture, then there's nothing stopping you from dumping the Windows desktop and embracing the world of Linux. And as Java continues to evolve with ever better and cooler toolkits and frameworks, and Microsoft continues to eat its own tail with its .NET strategy, then I think you'll see an increasing move away from Windows for developers.

Joe