From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Gibbs
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:53 AM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] RDi and Linux

Joe Pluta wrote:
In my session at Rational, George Farr asked the audience who thought
that having RDi on Linux was important. Only one or two hands went up.
Although this really wasn't a session on RDi, it was on RDi-SOA, and the
audience was more non-i people than i people, it was still a little
surprising to me.

Doesn't surprise me much ... Windoze is probably still the most
prevalent desktop OS in organizations that run i & z boxes,

I then began to wonder whether my own personal anti-Microsoft bias is
really skewing my perception. Personally, if I were running an IT
department I'd be very interested in a pure Linux network. With the
exception of a couple of specific-use programs, I don't use Windows-only
products anymore and I'm pretty happy. My biggest issue today is that I
have to use Windows for RDi.

From my perspective ... Linux still has a long ways to go to make
inroads onto the desktop.

There's a number of factors ...

1. Lack of first class driver support ... video, network, etc. which
ties directly into...
2. Lack of vendor support.
3. Wide variety OS version and distros (which effects #2).
4. (Relative) Lack of applications.
5. Usability factors (having to edit config files, having to restart X
to apply changes, etc).

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being very important and 1 being not
important at all, how would you rate the importance of having RDi
running on Linux?

2.5 ... it would be nice, but I run XP on my personal laptop and desktop
at work, so I'll still run the Windows version.

david