1 License HATS for 5250 Toolkit

There are also instructions on the Passport Advantage site to download or
order media.

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Dean, Robert <rdean@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For WDSC standard, I think that's true. For those that have licensed
the Advanced Edition, there's an article by George Farr in System i
Network that says there is a trade-up entitlement to RAD + RDi-SOA
(RDi/RBD/HATS).

-----Original Message-----
From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Pete Helgren
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:41 PM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Updating WDSc to RDi

Thanks. That is what I needed.

This light bulb has been coming on slowly for me:

To get the equivalent of the current WDSc I need RDi and RAD. To get
EGL I need RBD. So, to get everything I had (including Java EE ) with
WDSc AND get EGL I need RDi/RBD/RAD.

I have no plans for J2EE development and that is already covered by my
MyEclipse subscription in any case so RDi and RBD it is.....

Pete

Joe Pluta wrote:
Pete Helgren wrote:

Based on some other posts here, I think RDB 7.1 + RDi 7.1 = RBD SOA
but
I am not sure. I think EGL is part of RDB 7.1 which is what I am
after
since I am preparing for EGL classes next week with Jon Sayles.

Yes and yes, except the name is RDi-SOA. :)

However, I would like to replace what I have now with WDSc 7.0 since
don't have adequate space to have all these components on my notebook
at
the same time. So I plan to uninstall all the WDSc tools I have in
Add/Remove programs listed as IBM Software Development Platform (all
11GB of it) and then install RBD and then RDi. Would that be OK? I
should still be able to everything I currently do in WDSc with RDi
(and
RBD), correct?

It depends on what you do with WDSC. WDSC contains not just RDi
functionality, but also all of the Java EE capabilities of RAD (a
$4000
product). The Java EE capabilities are not included in either the RDi

or RBD components of RDi-SOA. RBD lets you create web applications
using EGL, but does not include the full tooling for Java EE
development.

Hope that clears it up a little <grin>.

Joe

--
This is the Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries (WDSCI-L)
This is the Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries (WDSCI-L)