Jim Steil wrote:
I think we need to be fair here. Chris Laffra isn't just some guy off the street that is trying to program business apps like the rest of us. He is the Chief Architect of EGL Rich UI. Come on, that's like you challenging me and my co-worker to fight you and the heavyweight champ. Not exactly a fair fight. I think that if we got the head architect on the .NET side or the head architect of FLEX to help front-end an i-based app, we could do pretty well to compete with your app.
Perhaps. But here's the thing: those people aren't working with the i community, are they? With this little limited partnership between Chris and I, we have a working application that makes the best use of both technologies. Hopefully this shows that the EGL team really cares about the System i. Can you say that about .NET, or FLEX? Nope!

You can come up with reasons why this test isn't fair, but my point is simple: until someone can match what Chris and I have done, there's really no argument.

I think the important thing here is that all of this IS possible with IBM tools. Anything claiming to be the 'best' is just someone's opinion based on their experience. Everyone else's mileage may vary.
If you can't program a subfile, then RPG stinks for you, doesn't it? This is a comparison of tools, not programmers, and my position is that this shows there's no tool that can match RPG and EGL in productivity. If you disagree, then feel free to take the challenge! Pick your best technology, bring in whatever ringers you can, I still don't think you can do it.

Here's what kills me. Peole have been complaining about there being no web or GUI development for the i. Now Chris and I shown what EGL can do. If that doesn't excite you to the core, if that doesn't open up your mind to endless possibilities of what the i can do, then I can't help you (nor can i <smile>).

Joe