Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
Well, we created everything from scratch. Why shouldn't you? <grin>
Since your "challenge" was to see how much time it takes to implement functionality in technology X, not how much time it takes to build something from zero, it would not be unreasonable to provide the data you have for the thing to reimplement.
Interesting. In my experience, an essential part of any project is creating the database. In fact, design issues dictated several features of the database layout (especially the logging!). Heck, the SQL people say you can just add columns and such on the fly, it's no problem! :)

I'm tired of listening to everyone say how good (TECHNOLOGY X) is. Time to prove it. It's easy to sit on a mailing list and pontificate. It's a lot harder to really do something.
Oh, the RSDC is the application we are discussing. Thought it was some kind of Rational Super Duper Checkmark thing we had to use.

Actually, RSDC is the Rational Software Developer's Conference in June. I'm speaking there with George Farr. In fact, I think I'm the only non-IBM System i developer speaking at an IBM conference this year.

Personally I do not say that EGL is better or worse than anything else, I just say that _I_ am very careful of meta-languages since the additional translation step may be extremely hard to debug. Just look at how long it took before JSP's were debuggable - that was painful.
EGL is debuggable both at the EGL level and the generated code level (Java or JavaScript). It's really quite powerful.

I would love to see the Ruby on Rails people take a stab at this.

Honestly Thorbjørn I would like to see ANY of the technology advocates take a stab at this. As I said, I'm truly tired of hearing people talk about how wonderful things are (and how awul Jav/EGL/IBM are). I'd like to see somebody prove it.

My guess is that the ONLY folks who might make a decent stab at this are the Rails folks. They have a pretty good framework, although once you step outside the framework, it tends to choke. I'm pretty confident that there won't be a PHP entry in this, nor will there be an RPG-CGI equivalent. It's just too hard to do both sides of the application in either technology.

The .NET folks might do it as well, but every action would require SQL to the System i database, and that would be horridly slow.

Joe