Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
Joe Pluta skrev den 15-05-2008 19:22:
Here's the deal: what can you use that will work better? How long would it take you to re-create this application, in ANY technology? Here are the requirements:
Frankly I don't know since I n eed to do the application to find out how long it takes :) The curse of our business.

I have not played around with the demo application so I have no idea of the actual functionality, but am only responing based on your outline.
And I'll try to respond generally, but I really am asking people to give me real estimates for how long it would take, since that's the real issue: how productive can you be?

Unauthenticated services:
1. View sessions and tracks, with times
2. View descriptions, votes and tags
3. View comments in realtime
4. Find current sessions
5. Search sessions on keywords
Unauthenticated means no sessions. Ok. Not bad. Real time means SQL.
Not SQL. Calls to RPG.

Authenticated services
1. Register/login (we use email authentication)
2. Maintain schedule
3. Social networking: votes, tags, comments
4. Recommend sessions
5. Online chat
Chat means Ajax. Jetty has a demo application, I'll just nick... eh... adapt.
A bit more than that. Chat sessions are specific to sessions. You click on a session's chat button and you're placed there. Comments are stored in the database, so that people can view past comments as well as watch (and participate in) ongoing conversations.

Administrative services
1. Maintain sessions and tracks
2. Enable/disable users
3. Clear/maintain tags, votes and comments
Hmm... Would a "Keep stuff in a spreadsheet and upload new versions with changes" do?
Nope. Users are added by people registering - wouldn't show up in spreadsheet. Either would any of the social networking stuff. That's why spreadsheets (to put it politely) suck for real applications.

All data is to be stored on the System i. Responses for the most part should be subsecond.
Naturally. I have just played around with pooled java toolbox connections where the overhead for doing a program call is 1-2 ms, so it CAN be done :)

Would such a challenge include data files so we just talk creating functionality or would everything have to be made from scratch?
Well, we created everything from scratch. Why shouldn't you? <grin>

The RSDC scheduler is a benchmark. I'd love to see it reproduced using any technology, so that we can compare approaches.
I have no idea what you are talking about :)

I'm tired of listening to everyone say how good (TECHNOLOGY X) is. Time to prove it. It's easy to sit on a mailing list and pontificate. It's a lot harder to really do something.

But we've done it, so now it's time for others to match it.

Joe