From: John W. Ebrecht <johnw.ebrecht@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 9, 2008 11:54:08 AM
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Web development vs production

Matt: Thanks for the information and for pointing me in the right
direction..

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Haas, Matt (CL Tech Sv) <
matt.haas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

John,

The answers to these questions could fill a book (or two) and some of it
depends on what you're using to develop the apps and where it's deployed to.
This would be a much better discussion for the WEB-400 list (WDSC is a tool
so this is a bit like asking how to build a house on a hammer mailing list).
In fact, searching through the archives of that list will likely turn up the
answers to some of these questions.

That said, the two key things to learn are how the HTTP protocol works and
HTML. Those two things are the basis upon which web applications are built.
I would also recommend learning about how CGI works since all web
programming conceptually works the same way (there are implementation
details that are different with Java and .Net). HTTP, HTML, and CGI are
pretty simple things to learn.

A good place to start for HTML would be http://www.w3schools.com. The book
"Pro Apache" (
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Apache-Third-Experts-Voice/dp/1590593006/ref=pd_sim_b_title_1)
is good and has topics on HTTP, CGI, and DNS (which covers your URL
question) and is much, much better than the IBM documentation. It also
covers the HTTP server that you will be using (unless you're running an OS
older than V5R1 or front ending it with some other platform).

Matt