I'm currently on V5R4, and running V6 WDSC. I plan to upgrade to WDSC V7,
but no plans to upgrade the operating system. Can I demo EGL? I've heard
good things, and would like to take a look...

Thanks, Tim

------------------------------

message: 3
date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 12:34:30 -0500
from: Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] OS version for RDI

Wai Hung Kevin Lau wrote:
I still don't understand whether RDi and WSDC are for different
directions.....

Hi Kevin!

I did a complete article on the subject that I think you can access over
at MC Press, but the short version is this: with V6R1, you have to pay
for things separately. In V5R4, 5722WDS included all the compilers and
all the development tools (PDM, SEU, WDSC) in one single package.

The new package, 5761WDS, separates all the pieces. There are two
compiler features, one for ILE and one for older compilers, and three
development tools options: ADTS, RDi and RDi-SOA. ADTS is PDM and SEU,
RDi is the green screen tools from WDSC, and RDi-SOA is RDi plus IBM's
EGL language.

Each of these is priced separately and by user. None of them are
equivalent to the old WDSC, because it included a lot of web development
tools that aren't in RDi. RDi is just the Remote Systems Explorer and
the LPEX editors for the System i languages. It also has a new
Application Diagrammer tool and a technology preview (a beta version) of
a new Screen Designer, which will replace SDA.

Pricing is complicated, as is entitlement (how many license you get when
you upgrade to V6R1 from a previous release). Here is the URL:

http://tinyurl.com/3jgo2w

Joe