Mark,

I didn't look at the packaging of the CL compilers; didn't know they were *Base options. Just figured they came with the requisite set of compilers (OPM or ILE).
There was some discussion a year or more back about IBM changing the /36 compilers or PRPQ's. This was even batted around in an IBM session as a, "What would your company's reaction be if..." question. I was the only person that they had come across there and elsewhere that favored the idea. Just thought it would be motivation for our company to "get off the pot" and convert all of the old stuff. I would still welcome that but I haven't heard anything in the wind about it lately.
* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
615.995.7024
fax
615.995.1201
email
jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mark S. Waterbury wrote:
Vern and Joe:

Thanks for the kind words. ;-)

Jerry:

> Jerry Adams wrote:
Works fine if the OPM ("heritage") compiler you're talking about is RPG/400 (III). I had about a dozen RPG/400 programs left over from a contractor that preceded me here; took about five minutes to convert (moving to /free was a bit harder because of the MOVE's). Not so straightforward with RPG36 (II).
Point duly noted. Customers with really old legacy code (e.g. RPGII) should probably invest in a tool to convert those programs to "native" RPG/400 or RPG IV, or manually rewrite them, or just pony up the extra $$$ to IBM to continue to license the OPM compilers.
Also, there are some important differences between the way that CL and CLLE function. These have been discussed before so I'm sure one could find them in the archives. I know that the OVRDBF command bit me a time or two, but that was because of my lack of understanding at the time of activation groups.
I did not suggest that a customer would need to convert all CLP *PGMs to CLLE right away. IBM has never charged extra for the CL compilers (CRTCLPGM, CRTBNDCL and CRTCLMOD commands). Since "CL" is the command language of i5/OS and OS/400, the CL compilers were included with the "base" OS license, and so I expect this would not change. Note also that CRTBNDCL has a default of ACTGRP(*DFTACTGRP), aka. "OPM compatibility mode."