Good point Marie-Line.

Here is where we can take next steps and tell IBM what we really want. In
reality, all the excellent EGL tooling they have built (amoung many other
"engines" for GUI rendering) could be refactored to give us a much more
native GUI where RPG is the driver and we wouldn't have to learn a new
language to get to our end goal.

For example, imagine if the screen designer allowed you to drag and drop
windows style components onto it vs. block based fields, and allowed you to
define events (i.e. button click) that would be dispatched to a particular
sub procedure within your RPG controller program. The screen designer would
export/compile everthing to an XML enabled DSPF similar to V6R1's PCML file
into RPG concepts.

They could modify the 5250 Client Access client side app to support a new UI
rendering based on the XML minded DSPF to display GUI controls. The best
part about it is you install Client Access once vs. having to update it for
each application update. This is because all the programming layers are
really on the iSeries which makes it VERY nice for ease of deployment (as
easy or easier than browser deployment).

Not to rip on IBM, but they claim they gave us EGL and platform independence
because that is what their customers said they wanted. I don't believe for
a second the majority of RPG shops are saying that, though maybe the ones
wanting to stay firmly planted on the platform haven't been loud enough.
This is our chance to tell IBM what we want in our application modernization
tooling as we will soon be paying them directly for it.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com