From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 2:34 PM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Application Diagram and Screen Designer demos
available on line

Bob, I don't think that's the case, honestly. When WDSC was announced,
I don't remember the price of 5722WDS going up, do you? As far as I
know, we did get it for free. Now, some part of thje money paid to
i5/OS did indeed go towards LPEX and RSE, and that's now what's
unbundled and called RDi. The vast majority of the underlying code of
WDSC was actually Rational Web Developer, a tool that cost over $1500 a
seat. That part we definitely did get for free - not one dollar of
i5/OS money went towards that development.

So as usual, the answer is "sort of" <grin>.

Joe,

What it boils down to is that WDSC was "sold" to us as the replacement for
Code/400 and VAJ, which in turn were supposed to replace SEU/SDA etc. At
each step of the way, development for the prior product essentially ceased.
I'd be more accepting of your argument if development had continued in full
force for the Code/VAJ/ADTS, but that's not the case. They did the bare
minimum maintenance on those products.

It's not unreasonable for a customer to assume that purchasing the product,
and staying current with software "assurance", actually entitles the
customer to what he's paying for; namely, the latest software upgrades as
they're released. Changing the name and claiming it is a new product is
disingenuous to say the least. Personally, I think it's highly unethical,
and should be considered criminal. Now, if IBM wishes to refund the many
thousands of dollars I've paid in "software assurance", I will be happy to
consider Rdi a new product, and purchase my license accordingly.

I don't see how anyone can look at the facts without IBM colored glasses on,
and seriously say that RDi is a new product. It is to WDSC what VS2008 is to
VS2005, and is to ADTS what VS2008 is to VB Professional.

What's next? Perhaps they will say that V6R1 is a new product because it's
now called i5/OS, and that those with SWMA are not entitled to the upgrade
because "i5/OS" is a new product! It's not "OS/400"!

Regards,

John Taylor