On 14-Feb-08, at 6:13 PM, wdsci-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

In fact, the real exposure is if IBM says to hell with all us whiners
and decides NOT to allow an upgrade from ADTS to RDi.

IBM have said that there is no entitlement to RDi for current ADTS users. That is the publicly announced fact.

If there's any one thing we all ought to be saying to IBM is that they must provide a
clear, simple upgrade path from ADTS to RDi.

And that is _exactly_ what I am saying publicly here, in presentations, in articles, and directly to IBM.

IBM has said they will, Jon continues to suggest they won't.

"IBM" have not said anything of the sort - the only thing IBM has officially said is that there is no entitlement. Certain _individuals_ within IBM have said that they will investigate changing this so that some kind of upgrade path is available. You have made suggestions to them as to what the upgrade path should be and so have I.

I worked for a number of years in the IBM Lab and lived daily with the IBM pricing and packaging process. These things once set in motion are not that easy to change. George could say that he was going to make the change tomorrow and there are still many, many other approvals that would be required before it happened - and that's not even counting IBM legal!

So I will continue to work for a change in the current policy and will welcome it if sand when it comes. In the meantime I suggest (as did you in another post) that people do the math and see how they will be affected. They should make their decisions based upon facts - and not upon possibilities.

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com