From: Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 11:13 AM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] iSociety Fireside Chat recording available?

Justin Taylor wrote:
Joe--I hope you are right about an upgrade path to RDi but the chat seems pretty clear on the issue.

"Question from Mkirkpatrick: Are there any circumstances under which one is entitled to copies of RDi or RDi-S? If not, what is the pricing?
GeorgeFarr says: No chance of entitlement. RDi and RDi SOA are NEW products. RDi is $795."

I know, Justin, but what we talked about with IBM was the ability to
upgrade from ADTS to RDi. Obviously it's in IBM's best interests to
allow ADTS users to move to RDi, and since they cost the same, the
logical thing is to allow ADTS seats to migrate to RDi. So if are
entitled to ADTS seats, and you then upgrade them to RDi, that's not an
RDi entitlement, but it's effectively the same thing.

The only way this wouldn't work is if they said that the entitlement
seats couldn't upgrade, and that would be simply a double-tax on
existing users and I'd expect the entire community to go up in arms. It
would mean IBM is trying to get $800 from every System i developer to
use RDi, and that's not realistic. I sure hope they didn't factor that
into their personal incentive bonuses, because it's unlikely to happen
anytime soon - instead it will be one more reason for green screen
programmers to stick with the green screen and use Microsoft tools to
develop anything else.

Joe